From Tragedy To Tragedy; Liberian Student Dies In The U.S. After Playing Soccer


South Dakota, USA- A Liberian Student studying in the United States of America, died of what doctors termed as “natural causes” on Monday at the Bridgewater State University in Massachusetts, USA.

According to reports, Sackie Nyanquoi, collapsed during an intramural soccer game in a gymnasium on the campus of the University.

In this grid, Naynquoi is seen before the attack, after the attack, and after surgery when he graduated from high school

On April 17, 2008, armed robbers stormed Nyanquoi’s home on Perry Street in Monrovia, and during the robbery, he was attacked by an assailant who threw raw liquid acid on his face. The result of the acid thrown on Nynaquoi’s face was harsh burns and severe disfigurement. He lived in agonized pain at the John F. Kennedy Medical Center in Monrovia until 2010, when through humanitarian efforts and public outcry, he was flown to the United States for treatment. Sackie underwent several major reconstructive surgeries free of charge at the Shriners Hospitals for Children in Boston.

In 2012, Nyanqoui graduated from the Attleboro High School a d got admission to the Bridgewater University in the fall of 2016 after a stint at the Bristol Community College. Up to his death, he was living with his host family in North Attleboro and commuted to classes after living on campus for two years.

A Senior at the Bridgewater State University, Naynquoi was majoring in Chemistry, with a concentration in biochemistry. He was 27 years old.

The late Nynaquoi during his college years

“It is tragic when we lose such a young and cherished member of our campus community. Sackie touched many lives. His passing is being deeply felt by all who were blessed enough to to have known him,” Joseph Oravecz, the Vice President for Students Affairs, wrote in a letter to the campus community.

Katelyn Scammon who once worked with Nyanqoui at the YMCA of Attleboro said, “He as such a kind person, alsways went out of his way to talk to others or just say hello. To overcome everything he did and still have such a positive outlook in life, he was really an inspiration.”

In 2012, Nyanquoi told the Liberian Journal that he wanted to go to college to fulfill his dreams and to help other people. “That is my biggest challenger right now, to go to college,” he said.

Police Chief David Tillinghast told The Enterprise, a local news organization in Boston, “The game had just ended and he was unresponsive. BSU athletic staff performed CPR and attempted to defibillate him with an AED. We were called and officers joined in the CPR. The Bridgewater Fire Department ambulance then arrived and continued resuscitation efforts en route to the hospital, ultimately o no avail. We do believe he died of natural causes, apparently, cardiac related.”

Meanwhile, the college has announced that donations in Nyanquoi’s name can be made to Shriners Hospital in Boston. A memorial service will be held on Saturday, November 3, 2018 at 10:30 a.m. on the University’s campus in the Dunn Conference Suite. The service will be followed immediately by a reception in the Crimson Dining Hall.